Saturday, February 18, 2012

New Year, Better Me.

One of the blogs I follow, Make It and Love It, is participating in a New Year New You thingamabob. She keeps blogging about all of this healthy stuff, and it's really inspiring. Yes, she gets a bunch of freebies from sponsors, but still. I've decided that this year my goal is to be healthier. I can't afford to live in the college life of chips and pizza 3 meals a day (yes, I would do that, and not gain a pound!). I'm getting older (hah! I'm only 23...but it's happening). I can tell my metabolism is slowing down - I need more sleep at night and I gain weight easier. My hangovers after a night out are much worse. I need to start taking care of myself.

The past two months, I've been doing that like it's my job. Sean and I joined a gym, and we go no less than 2x a week (though we shoot for 3 or 4). Thursday, I ran a mile for the first time since 2009. It took me 12 minutes, sure, but I did it. We found some gift cards left from the wedding (a year ago - whoops), and we bought a scale with it - it tells us body fat, water, and muscle mass percentage too. It gives us motivation to target the smaller numbers, as opposed to just our weight.

I've been trying to cook healthier, and we eat out less. I finally went to the dentist last week after 2 years (because let's face, dental health is still a part of your health!). Thankfully I only had one cavity, and I got that taken care of today. 

I need to get new glasses, now that I have eye insurance again.

I'm also thinking about looking into a chiropractor - I've never been to one, but it seems like I have a headache at least every third day lately, and I hear they can work wonders for stuff like that. Do I need to get a referral to go? Anyone know?

In any case, I'm really glad we're doing this. I find myself happier now (and the seasons are helping with that!). It makes me feel good about myself when I hit those goals. Here's to hoping I can keep it up this year!!

No comments: