Monday, December 3, 2012

#9. 30 days of Thanks.

I was one of those people. I did the 30 days of thanks (though, admittedly, I did forget to post the 29th and 30th on the Face). I was one of those people that everyone hated :p

But you know what? I'm really glad I did it. I actually learned something from it. Do you know how hard it is to come up with 30 individual things you're thankful for? I mean, sure, I probably could have said "I'm thankful for pizza" or "I'm thankful for awesome sex with my hubs" time and time again, but I really wanted things that were meaningful. Most of the time. Cause sometimes you just can't be meaningful on days when everything is wrong and the only thing that truly makes it right is the glass of $6/bottle wine that comes with a screw top.

But anyway. Here's my list, top to bottom (with the missed items). Because I AM thankful. I'm thankful for everything I have. And sometimes, it really is necessary for me to sit down and actually list out what I'm thankful for - rather than just an all-encompassing "everything". There's a lot of things I don't sit and take the time to appreciate.

Side note: Sorry - I've totally become one of those people who refers to her husband as "hubs". Whoops. How did that happen?! I'm still not going to fight it. No judging!

Day 1: I'm thankful to have such an amazing family, including an awesome husband and two furbabies.
Day 2: I'm so thankful for the rest of my family - for my parents, my aunts and uncles, my grandparents, my cousins, and all of Sean's family - they've truly helped shape me into what I am today, and I know they'd be there for us if we needed them!
Day 3: I'm thankful for a great job. One that I can enjoy having a weekend from :)
Day 4: I'm thankful for our fantastic church. For our priest who believes in marriage equality to the people we see. I love it so much!
Day 5: I am thankful for this great opportunity Sean and I have had to move to Kansas City - we've had a great chance to grow and we seriously love it here!
Day 6: I am thankful we live in a democratic republic that allows us to vote for our leader at regular intervals. No matter what the outcome of today is, I am still grateful for the opportunity.   
Day 7: I am thankful for my friends. The ones I see daily, the ones I see monthly, and even the ones I see once a year - I am so thankful to be able to call them my friends, and I know they would be by my side in a heartbeat. ♥ you all.
Day 8: I am thankful for a great, reliable car. It's taken me to San Antonio, Dallas, Chicago, Orlando, Destin, Des Moines, across Missouri more times than I can count, and now? Knoxville!
Day 9: I am super thankful for a fabulous road trip partner. I can't think of anything better than hopping in the car and driving all day with the hubs!
Day 10: I am thankful for a fabulous football association. I bleed black&gold for all time.
Day 11: I am thankful for our Veterans. To all those who have served, past and present, thank you.
Day 12: I'm thankful for my home. It may be a tiny little rental with single pane windows and plaster walls, but it's our tiny home and it's so wonderful to come home to. House, thanks for being so good to us in the last year. Here's to one more!
Day 13: I'm thankful I have fabulous recipes. Food is love, and the recipes of my family are truly wonderful and I'm so grateful to have them all!
Day 14: I'm thankful for my coworkers. Y'all are awesome (and give me free steak and donuts), and seriously make my job enjoyable. I couldn't imagine moving districts and having to leave everyone!
Day 15: I'm thankful I don't have to drive downtown through rush hour. Seriously.
Day 16: I am thankful for my education. I am so grateful for the resilience of Catholic school, the openness of public school, and everything of college. I've learned so much in my schooling, and I honestly know I wouldn't have as good of a life without it. The skills I've learned are the most valuable I could ever have.
Day 17: I am thankful for delicious, tasty drinks.
Day 18: I'm thankful I was raised without traditional gender roles. I'm thankful to be raised knowing that a man can cook, a woman can be the breadwinner, and a dad can take care of children just as well as a woman can. I'm thankful to know that a woman can wield a circular saw, and a man can rock an iron. I'm thankful that my parents, aunts, and uncles have all taught me this so well.
Day 19: I am thankful for the access to modern medical care. I cannot imagine a world without allergy meds, high blood pressure Meds, or painkillers, A world where smallpox and influenza killed thousands, or a world without regular doctors visits.
Day 20: I'm thankful for paid vacation. Not everyone gets to spend the holidays with their families (let alone get paid for it), and I'm truly appreciative that I have a great job where I can.
Day 21: I'm thankful for rest stops. Can you imagine having to stop at gas stations the whole way? I just need grass for my pup and a potty! 
Day 22: I am thankful for LIFE.
Day 23: I'm thankful for traditions. From thanksgiving to Black Friday to all the holidays coming soon, I love them all!
Day 24: I'm thankful to have a hunter in the family. Bacon wrapped duck? Yes please.
Day 25: I'm thankful for access to the internet. I love being able to communicate with everyone everywhere, and the vast amount of knowledge that we can gain from it is incredible! 
Day 26: I'm thankful for hot showers. I remember cold showers from my mission trips in Mexico, and I'm totally okay with warm and steamy. Not everyone gets them.
Day 27: I am thankful I can cook and bake. It's something I love to do, and (thankfully) can do well. Now if only I could eat everything without gaining weight...     
Day 28: I am thankful that we can fill our fridge with good, healthy food.            
Day 29: I'm thankful that my hubs has turned me into a nerd. I was always on my way, but I truly acknowledge it now. And it's opened a whole new world to me of entertainment and amusement for me.  
Day 30: I am thankful that I took the time to do this, and truly appreciate what I've been blessed with.  
 

No comments: