Friday, July 10, 2009

Pre-Pre-Cana

We have our first wedding prep class tomorrow. We're both excited for it, and yet, we're both really nervous, for several reasons.

A) Catholics in St. Louis have a huge variety of styles, and Sean and I are both from more traditional styles. We're terribly afraid that we're going to get stuck with a bunch of Life Teen couples. Life Teen is a modern movement of worship (phrased in a very politically correct way ^_^). I can't deal with moshing and rock music during mass...just not for me.

B) We're also afraid we're going to get stuck with older couples who are already productive members of society with jobs and degrees and living on their own. There are few things we can't stand more than being told we're too young and to wait longer before we get hitched. People change their tune after we tell them we've been together for over 4 years, but it's still so frustrating.

C) We're also so afraid of the inevitable sex questions. Yes, we have sex. No, we aren't waiting until marriage. No, we have no intention of starting a period of abstinence before we're married. Yes, we use birth control, and have no intentions of stopping. Usually people tend to just skip over these (or at least, our priest did), out of sheer embarrassment for all involved. While it doesn't necessarily *embarrass* me (though it does Sean), I'd rather not spend 45 minutes explaining to someone that no matter what they say, this is what we do and I'm not ashamed of it. And unlike my confessional experiences in grade school and high school, I have no intention of lying about what I do. I am who I am.

On a positive note, I've heard of very few bad experiences at Pre-Cana classes, so I'm hopeful. I'm remaining optimistic. Sure, we have to be in U-City at 9 am tomorrow, but ah well. Here we come Christ the King Church!

No comments: