Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Two Hundred Sit-Ups

When I was in eighth grade, we were encouraged to not only give something up for Lent, but make a commitment to do something to better yourself in those 40 days. Ever since then, I've always given something up, and made the effort to do something - whether it was donating clothes, cleaning my room, or eating healthier. This year, I've made the commitment to myself to complete the Two Hundred Sit-Ups program.

The program lasts for 6 weeks (perfect for Lent), and works on building your stamina for sit-ups. Because I started karate with TCKA when I was 13, I don't remember a time when I couldn't do sit-ups. I know exactly how my muscles (even when they're practically non-existent) work in my abs, and it's a very satisfying feeling when all of them are contracting for maximum effort. It's a 3 day a week program, and so far no workout has taken me more than 10 minutes, so it's pretty simple for me to do in the evenings. I started a week early, so tonight marked the first day of week 3 for me.

Tonight also marked what I was dreading - the point where sit-ups get hard. Back at TCKA, Sensei was a fan of 100s, which included doing 100 sit-ups - straight. Tonight, I did a total 111. They were broken into 5 sets (no way could I have done them straight - I was having problems with the 30 set), but man. I started on the middle section because of my history, and for a while I could have easily done the third section, but I knew this day was coming. Tomorrow, I'm going to hurt.

No comments: