Saturday, July 30, 2011

Making Changes.

I work in the trucking business. While I don't drive trucks for a living, I do have to drive them around our parking lot. Because of this, I have to be DOT certified - I need a medical license that's annually renewed.

When I got my job in April, the first thing I needed was a medical license. My necessary physical was minimal, but it still came up abnormal. I was referred to a standard practitioner. I figured it was no big deal, and treated it as an annoyance. But it turns out, I'm at a huge risk for heart disease.

I always have known it's something I'm going to have to worry about in the future. My grandma's heart stopped beating when she was 60, and my mom has already had blood clot issues at 44. But I didn't know it was going to be an issue now. I'm freaking 23 (or maybe I'm just ignoring my adulthood?). In any case, it's a wake up call for me.

Nothing is currently wrong with me. I was given the all-clear health-wise, but I now know that I need to change things. According to my doctor, I don't need to make any life-altering, hell-bent changes. I just need to change little things. I'm cutting out little things and switching them for healthier choices (eating wheat bread and getting rid of my daily bagels). I'm using sodium-free and low-sodium items whenever I can, and I'm trying to add veggies and more fruits into my cooking. I'm making more things from scratch - it makes me see how much is going into it, and keeps it healthier. I don't drink pop as it is, but now I'm watching the juices and other things I drink.

It's a really scary thing.

But at least now I know that I have the power to stop it. I can start changing my life now, and help prevent this from becoming a serious problem in the future. I want to have a longer future than my family has a history for.

But don't worry - for now, I'm perfectly fine :) This is just a kick in the pants.

No comments: