Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Headlines don't sell papes, Newsies sell papes!

I'm starting a new segment on this blog, other than wedding. I'm a news addict. I love reading about the news, especially controversial topics. I'm very opinionated (my friends will vouch for this), and debating is something that is commonplace in my family. Instead of gathering around the dinner table to talk about our days, we discussed the news growing up. I've been watching various news networks since birth, and in order to sit at the "adult table" I had to be able to form an opinion and argue and defend that opinion.

While I was never on a debate team, I took an advertising course in college which focused on being able to debate any side of an issue - regardless of how you felt about it. I thought it was a great course. At some point in life, most people work at a job where they don't necessarily agree with the ethics/purpose of the company. In this economy though, it's important to have a job, and many people don't have the opportunity to pick and choose a company that focuses on certain ideals. While I'm opinionated, I like to think that I can position myself to see any side of an issue - regardless of whether or not I agree with the situation.

One thing I am guilty of? Arguing the same point as someone else with different words. I'm terrible about it. My roommates and fiance with agree with me too - it's incredibly common that we argue the same point for hours (and I'm not exaggerating), only to find we're trying to say the same thing. It generally happens when one of us misphrases one little comment...oh the power of words.

No comments: