Sunday, January 8, 2012

A Year of New Beginnings.

One year ago today, I walked down the aisle and said "I do" to my favorite guy. I became a wife. Sean became a husband. And we started (our official) life together.

First off, I can't believe it's been a year. An entire year. I don't feel like I've been married a year, but other times, I can hardly remember not being married. It's a comfortable state of life - it's like we've always been this way. Or destined for this.

Second, so much has changed this year!! Sean has completed 3 semesters of law school, and still enjoys it. I got a new job - one that pays just enough for us to live a comfortable life (though not lavish) - and it's probably been the single biggest factor in the last year. I'm also only known as a married woman at work, and it's strange how much that changes work relationship dynamics. We moved into a little house - the two bedroom home is perfectly sized for us, and we really feel like it's our home.

Another thing that's changed? We live life slower now. Not in the we-don't-go-out-and-party way (we actually do this more than the first year we lived together!), but in the planning way. Before, we were making plans about when we'd have kids and buy a house and do this and do that. Now? We live life as it comes. We know we don't want kids yet, but we don't know when we're going to have them. And that's perfect for us right now. There's no stress for us to meet life goals at certain times. We're living in a moment, and when Sean is done with school/gets a job, we'll focus on the next step of life. But not before then.

So what's the plan for us on our anniversary?
-Last night, we went to J Gilbert's - it's a fancy steakhouse. We probably spent waaay more than we should have, but it was the best steak and crab cake that I've ever had in my life. Plus, I got to try an Argentinian wine, which was delicious, but a bit too dry for my tastes. 
-Last week, I found a $75 gift card to Macy's that we got for the wedding. We hadn't used any of it! We're probably going to go there, and maybe get a rug for the office, or maybe some pillows.
-There's pulled pork in the crock pot for dinner. I bought some hoagie rolls, so it'll be a delicious bbq night.
-We're actually going to eat the top tier of our wedding cake. Or at least try it. We wrapped and foiled and froze the top right after our wedding, and we're really hoping it turns out pretty well. I've been slowly defrosting it since Thursday...if it doesn't taste good, you can bet I'll be baking a red velvet cake tonight.

You guys, it's been a fabulous year. And here's to many more to come!

No comments: