Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Winter Wedding, or Christmas Wedding?

There are a lot of fantasy dreams that little girls have about their wedding. I didn't have many of these dreams - I was never a girl who really thought about her dream wedding. But as soon as Sean and I started talking about getting married, I knew that I wanted to get married in my childhood church, All Saints.

(All Saints Catholic Church)
By Catholic standards, it's actually pretty small. It only seats about 500 people, which means we have to have seven different masses a weekend in order to fit everyone (and that's just counting the regulars...). Thankfully, I only have about 230 guests - I don't think there will be a problem. I have a history of the church back home, but unfortunately it's not here. Our parish was the first one established on this side of the river, originally called St. Peters of Dardenne Creek, back in 1815. The name was changed to All Saints in 1823, though the current church wasn't built at least the 1850's (I actually think it was 1874, but I'll check on that this weekend). Much of the church is in its original, gothic state. Thankfully, they did a little remodeling this winter, which included new carpet, new AC and heat, and a LOT of fixed stuff. But the integrity of the church is the same. Needless to say, I love my church.

Sean and I are getting married on January 8th. We chose this date because, honestly, we really wanted the Christmas decorations (and didn't want to spend a whole lot of money on church decorations). Because January 6th marks Epiphany, or the end of Christmas, we weren't sure if we were going to get the decorations. Thankfully, the decorations will be taken down the Sunday after our wedding, less than 24 hours after we get full use of them! At first, I wanted to get rid of some of the red - making it more winter, and less Christmas. Since then however, I think I'm willing to embrace the Christmas...at least in the ceremony. And now, for some photos!

This is the back of the church, from where I'll be walking in. There are pews in the overhead balcony (it's where my family sits every Sunday), and you can see the pipes of the organ over top also.


This is the front of the church. The main altar has both red and white poinsettias, plus a few Christmas trees. I love how bright the stained glass windows are, especially knowing it wasn't bright on this day - barring a thunderstorm, the church will be nice and bright! The nativity set is original to the church, and sits on a side altar (so it won't be obtrusive) with many sad Christmas trees that my parents are slowly replacing :D

I know the banners are a little much, but unfortunately, they're about 10-15 feet up. While we could drag out the extension ladder to take them down, I'm not sure if it'd be worth it. Plus, they do add a little punch to the aisle, don't they?

I'm thinking about adding some wreaths on the pews, but I'd only put them on every other pew I think. I'm thinking about these paper pew wreaths, except maybe with a few green ornaments rather than all white. Instead of hooking the wreaths around the back of the pew, I'll have to tie a ribbon to hang them off pew (because of the pew shape). I can't decide if it'll be a good touch, or too much.

Paper Pew Wreaths

All in all, I'm excited about the church. I think it will be lovely blend of holiday cheer and old world charm, without too much of a cost.

No comments: