Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Choose Your Own Ending.

(I'm "borrowing" this idea for a post)
Generally speaking, I'm not an Obama fan. I feel as though he's too young in the political world, both in experience and connections, to be as effective as he could be, and those are two aspects that are crucial to any politician. I feel as though he makes promises he will never be able to come through on - I'm not a fan because I think that, one day, he would be a truly great president. But not now.

Anyways. Regardless of my opinions, there is one thing that few can argue about Barack Obama. He is a great speaker. He is one of the few people in this world who truly have a gift with words, and he's incredible at it. Seriously, this man will make a killing as an inspirational speaker after his days in politics (a la Bill Clinton). He honestly believes in himself, and you've got to give the man credit. Given the opportunity and time, he could probably convince Israel to make pork their national meat.

There's one quote from Obama that I particularly like, and it's rang particularly true for me here lately:

"Our future is what we build it to be."
- Barack Obama, March 23rd, 2009

I like it. We're not given our future. We create it. We imagine it. We build it.

There's so many possibilities and opportunities that one can have in life. Whether it's in love, careers, family, education, or friends - there's always choices that can be made to affect the outcome of your life. Little choices, big choices, they're always there. A decision that one doesn't put any thought into could be life changing - it could open doors, and it could slam them shut. Honestly, most of the time, we don't even notice the change has occurred.

I say this rings true to me, because I'm in a point of building in my life. I feel like my life is a skyscraper. I've finished the floors that harbor college - but I'm continuing to add stories. There are plans laid out - some that I've created and some that destiny has laid - but only I get to choose the ones I want to utilize. Like a choose your own ending book, each choice I make opens opportunities and shuts down others. It's...empowering.

I'm choosing to stay in Columbia for another few months. Sean and I are choosing to stay long distance because he makes more money in StP. We're choosing to move far away, because we want the independence. I don't know if I'll ever be back in St. Louis - I'd like to be, but I don't know. I don't know what opportunities are going to open up for us. As much as we love our families, we'll go where our opportunities lead us, simple as that.

But I tell you this - my future will be good, because I want it to be. And I will strive for that.

No comments: