Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A Shiney Mission

A custom wedding ring. 


That's right. Custom. My grandma left me her wedding ring when she passed away, and we really want to use it. The problem is, grandma's ring is a size 9 (I wear a 7), most of the prongs are gone, and the ring is really off-balanced. It's really in terrible condition, despite the fact that it's only about 20 years old (her second ring). It HAS to be remade. We were originally thinking about simply keeping the original ring with wedding band and then adding on a band of our own. Grandma's ring is simple (sorry, I don't have a picture and the ring is in St. Louis), with the "engagement ring" being a 3 stone ring, and the wedding band having 4 small diamonds on it. 


Last December, Sean proposed to me with this ring: 



I absolutely love it - but it has always been the intention for me to wear it on my right hand after we get married, and use my grandma's ring for our wedding ring. 


Unfortunately I have no idea what I want to do with a wedding ring. Which is why I'm posting this - I would LOVE for other people's ideas. Even if it is just a picture of your own ring. We're no long "stuck" in the idea of keeping the ring design the same when we re-fashion it, so the possibilities are nearly endless (though I have a few ideas I'm stubborn on). We'll be using my grandma's diamonds, which consist of a center stone of a 1/2-3/4 carat, and then 6 smaller (about 1/8 ct) stones around it. But we're totally open to buying more of the smaller diamonds, because our jeweler said they're only about $80 a piece. 


Things I'd REALLY like:
1. I really want to keep the double wedding band idea. I like the idea of symbolizing my grandma with the ring, and so having two wedding bands is a MUST. I also love the idea of an engagement/wedding ring set. I don't want to look like I'm engaged for the rest of my life. 


2. I love split shank rings. It's not a requirement, but I do like them. Or at least rings with a twisted metal appearance - you know, something different and modern.


3. I'm not opposed to sapphires. Not in the slightest. Obviously, because my engagement ring has them. However, I don't HAVE to have them. 

No comments: