Friday, October 30, 2009

Creamy Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas

I love Mexican food. It's an addiction of mine. It's a combination of doing mission trips in Mexico when I was in High School, one of my best friends being Mexican, and having an undying love for Tequila. Okay, maybe not so much the last one. But I love that sting in your mouth after eating spicy food. Yum! I used medium salsa and taco sauce, but you can easily use mild or omit the hot sauce.

Tonight, I made enchiladas. I prepped everything except for putting cheese on top beforehand, so I could just pop them in the oven when I got home from Marching Band.

3 cooked chicken breast, cubed
1 packet of taco flavoring
1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese (I used a half cup more, but I'm obsessed with cheese)
1 jar of medium salsa
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup taco sauce
1 can cream of chicken condensed soup
onion powder to taste (or chop up some real onion - I'm lazy though)
hot sauce to taste
Tortillas (I use 6")

Grease a 9 x 12 baking pan. Preheat over to 350 degrees.

In a large skillet, mix the chicken and taco flavoring.
Add 1/2 can of soup, 1/2 jar of salsa, 1/2 cup of sour cream, and 1/2 cup of cheese.
Heat until well blended and cheese is melted.
Add onion powder and hot sauce to taste (though, not QUITE as spicy as you think it should be - you'll have more heat in the sauce)

In a separate bowl, combine the rest of the soup and salsa and the 1/4 cup of taco sauce.
Mix well, add hot sauce to taste.

Warm tortillas.
Spoon chicken mixture onto the center of each tortilla (not too much!). Roll and place into baking dish, seam down. Continue with rest of chicken mixture. Place enchiladas so that they are touching each other, so they don't unroll while baking.
Pour taco sauce mixture over top, using a spoon to spread it.
Top with remaining shredded cheese (I COVER mine, but if you prefer less cheese, use less)

Bake for 30 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling.

No comments: