Friday, May 14, 2010

5 years ago...

So I kind of forgot to mention...

Sean and I celebrated our 5 year anniversary last Saturday!

5 years! It's amazing to know that we've made it this long, especially knowing we'll be together for many more. It's our last "date-iversary" too - by this time next year, we'll be married! We've also now known each other for 8 years...it's been a long time coming.

I know some people think it's absolutely ridiculous that we've been dating for this long, but we've really enjoyed it. We've gone through a lot of ups and downs, a lot of stress, and a lot of everything. We've been to Destin, Disney World, Chicago, Galena, Tulsa, and Memphis (have you ever driven in a car with someone for 16 hours straight [I mean it. We didn't stop for 16 hours, AND it was through the night]?). We've moved furniture that wasn't ours, we've gone to family reunions, and we've gone to more weddings, funerals, and baptisms than you can count. Yes, many of our friends have and will get married before us. Sometimes, I get a smidge jealous, but in the end, it really doesn't matter. I know that we're right for each other, and I know that we can get through the hardest of the hard. Catholics have a tendency to date for a long time anyway. Divorce is a huge negative (if you're married in the Church once, you can't get remarried in the church without an annulment), so making sure it's gonna work is completely and totally necessary.

Besides, no matter how much I love Sean, I so glad I got the opportunity to live on my own. It creates a sense of self-awareness, something that can't be discovered when you're always living for someone else. I'm really confident about myself now, and I'm completely confident in the idea of marriage - I'm ready. I can't wait to go apartment hunting in a few weeks, I can't wait to move in together in the next few months, and I can't wait to get married in 238 days.

By the way...in 2005...
- YouTube was launched
-The United States 11th Circuit Court of Appeals, in a 2-1 decision, refuses to order the reinsertion of Terri Schiavo's feeding tube.
-The 2005 Sumatran earthquake rocks Indonesia, and at magnitude 8.7 is the second strongest earthquake since 1960.
-His Royal Highness Charles, Prince of Wales marries Camilla Parker Bowles.
-Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger elected Pope Benedict XVI on the second day of the Papal conclave.
-Kuwait permits women's suffrage in a 35-23 National Assembly vote
-Hurricane Katrina devastates much of the U.S. Gulf Coast from Louisiana to the Florida Panhandle, killing more than 1,836 and causing over $115 billion in damage.
-The controversial drawings of Muhammad are printed in the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten.
-The Colbert Report first airs.

Can you believe that stuff happened THAT long ago? 

No comments: