Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Monkey Bread

Have you ever had monkey bread before? It's a gooey, cinnamony, and amazing. I remember my grandma making this bread when we were really little, but after she got sick when I was around 5, she stopped. I remember pulling apart this delicious bread with forks, because I hated getting messy as a kid. Honestly, it had be a looong time since I had it, until recently. My mom made it for my sister's First Communion. The event was at 9 am, so we chose to have a brunch party afterward. Monkey Bread is a form of coffee cake, so it's perfect when served with breakfast - though I think it's perfect anytime.

My grandma's recipe:
4 rolls of biscuits (NOT the flaky ones)
3/4 cup of white sugar
2 Tbsp of cinnamon
1 cup of brown sugar
1 1/2 sticks of butter
(you can also add chopped nuts or raisins, but I'm not a fan)

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and grease a bundt pan REALLY well
2. Chop the uncooked biscuits into quarters.
3. Mix the cinnamon and white sugar in a bowl.
4. A few pieces at a time (usually about 4 biscuits worth), roll your biscuit pieces in the cinnamon sugar. Then layer in the bundt pan, adding nuts and raisins if you choose.
5. Melt butter, add brown sugar, and bring to a boil for 1 minute.
6. Pour butter-sugar mixture over the layers of biscuits in the bundt pan.
7. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Let cool for about 10 minutes, then flip onto a plate and serve!

Be careful to not overcook your bread...also - it's a million times better when it's served hot!

No comments: