Thursday, January 23, 2014

My new name is mama...

(written Tuesday)

It's been a week since little miss was born, and it's kind of surreal. I'm a mom. I'm in charge of this little thing, this precious sweet baby, and I'm responsible for her (well, Sean and I both are).

For her well-being, for her development, and for her world. It's all on us. I can't believe she's here. I can't believe that after 9 long months of waiting, she's here in this world. She's crying, smiling, cooing, and being adorable. All the time.

She still isn't nursing. I'm exclusively pumping, which sucks (literally), but at least she's getting breast milk and I'm keeping my supply. I'm calling a LC today (my insurance covers it), so hopefully we can figure things out. It's like she doesn't know how to open her mouth up wide enough. I'm not sure if it's a tongue tie issue or small mouth or what. It doesn't bother me too much, as I know I'll have to pump when I go back to work anyway. It means I can start to build a stash now and get my production going too. But it would be nice to just be able to snuggle her and feed her at 3 am instead of with a syringe (trying to avoid nipple confusion). Her ped isn't too concerned either though - sometimes it just takes babies longer. I still plan to EBF for the first year - but it might be out of a bottle.

Right now I'm renting a Medela Symphony from the hospital, but I'm getting a Hygeia Enjoye from insurance this week. The parts are interchangable too, so I'll actually have 3 sets of parts (the hospital sent me home with two sets, and the Enjoye comes with a set too). I've heard great reviews about the Enjoye, so I'm excited to try it!

And now - here's some baby pics!
(Sean holding her for the first time [clean, anyway])




No comments: