Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Seeing a Lactation Consultant.

So Natalie has never latched. Ever. Not once. She will. not. have. it.

To be honest, it hasn't been a huge deal. I've been pumping and have a great supply. I know that I'll have to pump when I'm back at work, so it's nice to be used to that. Because I'm at home, to take the extra few minutes at 3 am to pump after she's eaten hasn't been bad. I won't be home forever though. I go back to work in 40 days, and I would love to be able to just snuggle her up in the middle of the night and feed her - without the hassle of a bottle and pumping.

So today we took the trek to her pediatrician's office, to see the lactation consultant.

Barb was amazing. She double checked for lip or tongue tied (well, triple, as she's been checked by the LC at the hospital and one of the pediatricians already). Talie doesn't have one, which is good. The biggest issue is that she has a tight jaw and small mouth. Which will be great when she's a musician one day...but not so much now. We were able to get her to latch and even suck a few times with a shield! It's something she's never done before. It's a huge relief. I know that it will take practice to get her using it regularly, but still - it's progress!

We have another appointment next week, and hopefully we're doing better by then.

But besides that? LCs are amazing. Just sayin.

1 comment:

Caryn said...

Yay! I'm glad you're making some progress!